Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Some Things I've Missed...

I failed to mention some of the things I do around here to pass time in my "The First Four Weeks" post.

I started to knit.  My mom taught me.  I initially wanted to knit or crochet preemie toques, however I never got that far, so I've ended up with this:


I told Josh I was knitting him a "manly" scarf for those cold winter walks with Jake.  I hope to have it finished in the next two weeks or else I'm sure I will pick it up again in 10 years time.  And if Josh doesn't like it, I can always give it to Jake.

I have organized all of our wedding photos into an album and have managed to start some scrapbooking projects too.  Shocking.  I have yet to start baby books....I better get on that one...or two.

There is no wifi here so I increased my data package and use the hotspot on my iPhone to access internet through my laptop.  Unfortunately, streaming TV shows and movies would eat up my data instantly and cost me a fortune.  I'm thankful for my friends who have taken good care of me by sending me off with movies and shows to watch over my laptop.  Since I have watched nearly everything so far, I am stuck watching my cookie TV that runs me a super deal at $85 a week.

This is my premium TV with premium channels (aka basic cable - did you know that HGTV is not considered basic cable?) I pretty much have this running all the time; I need to at least feel as though I'm getting my money's worth!

On to another complaint. After five weeks of trying to figure out my extended benefits, it is still a mystery. I am supposed to receive a cash indemnity benefit every day for being in the hospital. I don't understand what the problem is. This can't be the first time the hospital has had to deal with this. I have yet to receive any money because my insurance company never gets the correct form from the hospital. I'll be out of here before I get any money, at least it's back dated. Just a pain in the arse. It would certainly help pay for my TV!

Speaking of money, my E.I. claim has still not been processed! It's been over a month now and I could really use some money considering I'm not making any sitting on my butt in here.  I still have some bills to pay!  Patience is a virtue.  Something I have yet to learn. 

I get asked every night if I want a sleeping pill. A nurse told me they hand them out like Smarties around here.  So I thought I would look into the brand to find out what the side effects are, if any. I quote from Wikipedia:

"Oxazepam when taken during late in pregnancy, the third trimester, causes a definite risk to the neonate including a severe benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome in the neonate with symptoms including hypotonia, and reluctance to suck, to apnoeic spells, cyanosis, and impaired metabolic responses to cold stress. Floppy infant syndrome and sedation in the new born may also occur. Symptoms of floppy infant syndrome and the neonatal benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome have been reported to persist from hours to months after birth."

Even if all the above wasn't all truth, since I'm not entirely sure how credible Wikipedia really is, it was definitely enough to scare me! A nurse asked me that same night after researching oxazepam if I wanted a sleeping pill. Naturally, I told her what I had come across, to which she responded that I can't believe everything I read on the internet and that I'm more than welcome to discuss it with the pharmacist. I was so close to asking if the pharmacist was anything like the dietician.

Enough negativity already!  Let's see, what else have I missed? Well, I have been through five neigbours so far.  The first one was my favourite and we visited often. She was here for ten weeks total.  She ended up delivering her twin boys at 34 weeks just before Christmas and they were able to go home after only three short weeks in the NICU!  She was great and even came to see me after her delivery to tell me all about her c-section experience and what to expect.  I wish her and her little family well.

Josh and I got to tour the NICU this past weekend.  We received some really helpful information and it was good to see first hand where our girls will be for the first four to six weeks of their life.  I have seen endless pictures of preemie babies but after seeing them in the flesh, pictures really do not do them any justice.  It is truly amazing how we create these human beings and even when they are born before their time, the technology we have to grow these tiny beings is equally amazing.

Another weekend adventure was to the open house at Jeneece Place, located next door to the hospital.  Jeneece Place is a "home away from home".  It is a place to eat, sleep, shower and rest for families who have to travel to Victoria for medical care.  Although my parents live in Brentwood Bay, it still provides us another option to stay close to the hospital once the girls are born (especially for the days when Josh might have to be back home for work and I don't have a vehicle to go back and forth with).  Essentially, I'll be travelling to the hospital every three hours for feeds, so staying close by would definitely be a bonus.  For $28 per night, tax included, you really can't go wrong.  You can read more about the incredible story of Jeneece Edroff and Jeneece Place here.

After a couple weeks of phone calls and messages to the milk bank at B.C. Women's Hospital, I am happy to say that they have finally approved me and are shipping us ten bottles of breast milk.  In case mine doesn't come in for a week or so, our girls will still get the best nutrients they possibly can through breast milk as opposed to formula.  For those of you who are initially grossed out by this (as I was) don't worry, all the women who donate are screened, the milk is sterilized and pasteurized.  However, if I'm a milk goddess from the get go, I will definitely be donating it to the next preemie(s) to enter the NICU.  I just want to be prepared.  Only the best for the Palychuk girls!



No comments:

Post a Comment